Owning a Pickup Truck Vs. Car. Which One is the Best?
America is simply the land of pickup trucks as compared to other countries in Europe and Asia. Other continents will often have smaller cars being popular as compared to America. The desire to own pickup trucks did not start yesterday as the trend has been ongoing for years. Real numbers easily back up the love for pickups in terms of sales. In 2017 alone, RAM, Chevrolet, and Ford F-series trucks were leading in this segment.
RAM sold 500,723 units, followed by Chevrolet selling 585,564 units, and then in the first place is the Ford F-series selling 896,764 units. The best part about pickup trucks is that the segment seems to be growing each year as the other car segments dwindle.
Just as expected, a large number of people owning pickup trucks are men. There is no doubt that any man could benefit from owning a pickup as there are times you might have to haul some stuff around. Regardless of the location, type of work, or personal preferences. Well, why is this the case? We look at some of the reasons why it would be great to own a pickup truck.
- Pickups are great for multiple activitiesYou should find pickups being versatile as compared to other types of cars. Pickups can be used for carrying your camping gear, go on a fishing trip, or get to your local grocery store. For this kind of versatility, it should be the reason pickups scream fun and adventure for most of the owners.
- They are roomyIf you need to carry a lot of stuff around, then you have to consider a pickup truck. Do not for a second think that simply because it is a modern pickup, it would have less space. It is a common misconception as modern pickups now have more accessories added to them. As much as these pickups now get more comfort and safety features, they are still amazing in terms of space.
Before, pickups used to have basic interiors with hard bench seats. That has changed as you can now end up with a better interior, just like SUVs.
- New pickups can be fastPickups are no longer slow cars. Considering that most come with either a V8 engine or a turbocharged V6 engine, then expect them to put out a lot of power. The power is not just for towing but also going past traffic as fast as you can imagine.
An example is the Sierra 1500. This truck is powered by a 420 horsepower engine that can run from 0 to 60 mph in 5.6 seconds. For a pickup, this is fast. It will be faster than what you get with some other cars.
- They now have better fuel efficiencyJust because a pickup truck weighs more and looks massive does not mean it cannot also have the best fuel efficiency. What you need to understand is that fuel efficiency has changed a lot over the years. You can now get more trucks having better engine technology that makes them use less fuel as compared to before.
For most pickup trucks, you are likely to get an average of 22mpg. I know it is not the highest mpg, but compared to what it can haul and do, it should be celebrated. Considering that there are cars with less fuel efficiency than pickup trucks, it should be incentive enough to consider getting one.
- Pickups are safeBelieve it or not, pickups are now safer than before. Based on the studies carried out by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), they show that a pickup being bigger will push a lighter car backward in the event of an impact. This should make the occupants of a heavier car safer than those who are in a smaller, lighter vehicle.
Also, safety technology has changed over the years. It is now possible to have a safer pickup with the introduction of crumple zones, automatic braking, and airbags. It is easy to find modern pickups to be safer than the old models.
- They can be cheapDespite their sizes and features, you might be surprised by just how cheap pickups can be when buying new. For a base model full-size pickup, it is possible to pick one from $30,000. When you start choosing the options such as a bigger motor, leather interior, among other things, the cost can get up to $50,000. So, depending on your needs for a truck, it should still be possible to get one within your budget.
If you compare this to the price of an SUV or even a luxury car, you will see a lot of differences. SUVs tend to be expensive, with most starting at $65,000. It is higher than a fully optioned pickup truck.
- They offer great resale valueLet us say five years down the line; you will find that pickups will hold more than 50% of their original cost. This is worth mentioning as other segments will only retain an average of 35% of their value. As a result, it is easy to see that pickups will have a high resale value over the years.
So long as you have the pickup well maintained, it should be easy to find them durable. The best part is that maintenance is easy considering pickups are designed and built as workhorses. Their mechanical underpinning is also easy to work on as compared to luxury cars that have newer technology that breaks down all the time.
Talking about maintenance, below are some of the maintenance needs you might have to perform on your pickup truck to make it run smoothly.
Common Pickup Maintenance Needs
- Use a bed linerThe first thing you should consider after buying a new pickup is applying a coat of bed liner. When done correctly, bed liner will go a long way to protect the surface of your bed and make the truck last even longer. There are several options to choose from, such as taking the truck to a professional garage for liner application or buying a drop-in liner.
As much as drop-in liners offer the flexibility of taking them out whenever you want, they might not have the best durability.
- Buy a Tonneau coverA Tonneau cover comes in handy if you are going to protect your truck bed and things carried in it from weather hazards, dirt, dust, and keep the cargo safe. These Tonneau covers come in varied designs, so take your time to compare several models before opting for one that will make your life easier.
- Always remove snowFor those who live in commonly snowy areas, then ensure that you remove as much snow from your truck as possible. It will be even better to keep the truck in the garage if you have space. If snow is not removed in time and it sits there for days, then after a few years, you might notice some rust coming up. This dramatically affects the durability of your pickup over time.
Get an Accident Lawyer
What you need to understand is that pickups, just like any other car, can get involved in an accident. Whenever this happens, you need to use the services of a personal injury lawyer to help file for a claim. It is going to be important as lawyers will help you recover financially from an accident and use that money to repair your lovely pickup truck.